- 1/2 kg – Fish (pomfrets or any good fish)
- 4 heaped tsp – Red Chilli powder
- 2 pinches – Turmeric powder
- 1 medium piece – Ginger
- 8 to 10 – Black pepper
- 4 (optional) – Curry leaves
- salt, Oil
How to Make Spicy Kerala Fish Fry
- Clean the fish properly. If it is a flat fish like pomfret, make cuts across it at 1 inch distance, deep enough to reach the bones.
- Make a fine paste of ginger, pepper and curry leaves. Mix with the powders and salt. Add few tsps of water to make a thick, smooth paste.
- Marinate the fish with this paste for half an hour.
- Then deep-fry or shallow-fry it as you please. The oil will stop crackling when the fish is almost done.
- Serve it with lime and onion slices. It goes well with rice.