Home Cooked Malabar Chicken Dum Biryani, Raita, Pickle & Pappad – Delivered to your Desk / Home in trivandrum
Initial Preparation :
- Clean and wash the chicken pieces. Drain the water completely.
- Marinate chicken pieces with the ingredients mentioned under ‘For marination’ and refrigerate it for about one hour.
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain the water completely; Set aside.
- Grind together the ingredients mentioned under ‘For cashew-coconut paste’ and make a fine paste. Set aside.
- Grind together the ginger, garlic, green chillies mentioned under ‘For Chicken Masala’ and make a fine paste. Set aside.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoon ghee in a pan, fry the cashew nuts, raisins(mentioned under ‘For garnishing’) to a golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
Chicken Masala Preparation :
- Heat 4 tablespoon of ghee in a pan, add in the sliced onions and sauté till it becomes translucent.
- Add in the ginger-garlic paste and sauté till the raw smell disappears.
- Add in the sliced tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are nicely mashed.
- Add garam masala and fry for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
- Then add marinated chicken pieces and mix well. Add enough water to cook and mix well.
- Cook till the chicken is half cooked on medium flame. When it is half cooked add in the cashew-coconut paste and mix well.
- Cook till the gravy becomes thick and chicken is tender, remove from flame and set aside.
Rice Preparation & Layering :
- In a cooking pot, heat 2 tablespoon of ghee. Add all whole spices mentioned under ‘For rice’ and fry for few seconds.
- Pour enough water, lemon juice and salt into the pot and bring to boil. When it starts boiling, add the soaked rice and continue cooking. Check for salt.
- In a biriyani pot/oven proof dish, add 1 tablespoon of melted ghee and spread the ghee evenly to the bottom of the pot. Then add half of the prepared chicken masala, and spread it evenly.
- When the rice is ¾ done(refer notes), layer half of the rice over the chicken masala layer.
- Then layer the left over chicken masala. Spread half of the toppings (fried onions, cashew nuts, raisins, chopped coriander and mint leaves).
- Then layer the rest of the rice on top of it. Spread the left over toppings.
- Finally, pour 2 tablespoon of melted ghee and the vanilla essence on top.
Dum Preparation :
Cooking in Oven :
- Close the oven-safe dish with a tight fitting oven-safe lid – OR – Cover it with an aluminium foil. Seal the edges by crimping the foil.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F. Place the sealed oven proof dish in the oven and bake it for 20 mins.
- When it is done, remove and keep the dish covered until serving.
Cooking over Stove top :
- Close the biriyani pot with a lid, seal the edges of the lid with the prepared dough without even the slightest opening.
- Place the sealed biriyani pot in the stove. Cook till the steam comes out from the dough seal or for about 20-25 minutes on low flame.
- Once the steam comes out from the dough seal or after 20-25 minutes, switch off the flame and set aside the biriyani pot unopened for 10 minutes.
- Then open the dum, just mix the rice and chicken pieces from the bottom of the pan using a long spoon.
- Enjoy the biriyani, serve hot with Raita, Pickle and Pappadam on the side!
- The right consistency of the rice matters for a good biriyani. So don’t overcook the rice.
- How to check the right consistency of the rice?
- Just take out a grain of rice from the boiling water, and press it in between your thumb and forefinger. If the grain breaks into 3 parts, that’s the right consistency.
- How to make Fried Onion? ( makes about ½ cup of fried onion(approx:) )
- Take 1 ½ cup thinly sliced onion.
- In a large frying pan, heat required amount of oil for deep frying.
- Fry with a pinch of salt till the onions are golden brown and crisp.
- Transfer to a paper towel to remove excess oil.